Tuesday, May 19, 2009

train event

I got on the train to head into Tokyo for work today a few minutes before noon, and settled in for the hour and a half ride from JR Ome station.

As the train pulled in to the next station, suddenly we heard an announcement that "The Emergency Brake Has Been Applied" and the train ground to a halt.

Oh crap, I thought. Now what?

It was a jinshin jiko -- an injury accident, which is a euphemism for suicide by train. My train.

We sat for a few minutes. Several high school boys filed past me to go to the front and see what they could see. A few other high school girls chatted loudly about being late. One whined that she wanted to get off, and they attempted to pry open the doors.

As it takes time to deal with such accidents, we passengers were told to leave the train. They pulled the pantograph down from the wires and shut off the lights and air conditioning.
We all had to file up through the cars to exit from the door right behind the driver.

As I walked from car to car, I saw a compact red firetruck arrive and disgorge its EMTs in blue uniforms and helmets. They jumped quickly over the fence to get in where the train was stopped.

As I stepped up to the door, I snapped a picture of the crowd of commuters out on the platform, all staring. As I exited, I turned and walked toward the back of the train, but couldn't resist glancing down underneath, though I dreaded what I might see.

There was a woman's high-heeled pump lying on the stones between the rails. Beside it, a few inches away, was an open cellphone.

I looked away quickly. The ghoul in me wanted to snap a picture. I didn't.
Around me were more commuters, all looking grim. A few were smoking at the designated bin, as the JR Ome Line still allows people to smoke at the end of the platforms.

The victim was a woman who apparently lost her balance and fell on the tracks just as the train was coming in.

A policeman came up asking if anyone had witnessed the accident. Two people, an older man and a male college student, held up their hands. I listened as the older man explained that as the train was approaching, the woman had rushed onto the platform. Then he said something about "waving (her) hands over (her) head"--or perhaps he meant someone else, waving at her from the road that cuts across the tracks a few meters from the end of the platform. My Japanese isn't good enough to understand what he said, and I couldn't hear it all that well, either.

He kept pointing down at the road, and indicating that she had hurried onto the platform. Perhaps she lost her balance in those high heels and fell.

After the police put up their green tarps and the EMTs carried the woman's body away, things seemed less intense. I took a few snapshots of the police as they looked and compared notes. A detective in a suit showed up, and two more plainclothes police, a man and a woman, who began interviewing the witnesses again.

Finally, the engineers put the pantograph back up on the wires, and the train began slowly moving down to its proper position on the platform. The doors opened, and we all piled back on. I sat and snapped a few more pictures of the police measuring the platform, then the doors closed and we headed on toward Tachikawa, just another day. No evidence left.

Here are the pictures -- showing nothing gory, just an absence.
Hope she rests in peace.

http://tinyurl.com/oqh6he

No comments:

Post a Comment